In Arizona, near the border with Utah, in the United States, you can find a stunning sandstone rock formation called The Wave. The Wave is on the slopes of the Coyote Buttes, which are located in the Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness, on the Colorado Plateau. This formation is actually sand dunes calcified in vertical and horizontal layers, and the fascinating color bands are iron oxides, hematite, and goethite. The Jurassic-age Navajo sandstone making up The Wave is estimated to be 190 million years old. Getting to The Wave requires a moderately difficult 3 mile hike from the Wire Pass Trailhead. Due to the delicate nature of this formation, visitors must arrange a day permit in advance and pay a $7 fee per person. Only 20 of the highly sought-after permits are issued for each day. More info on permits can be found on the Bureau of Land Management website. Camping is not allowed in the permit area, and the closest accommodation can be found in the small towns of Kanab, Utah and Page, Arizona.
April 18, 2010
#3 – The Wave, Coyote Buttes, Arizona, USA.
This entry was posted on Sunday, April 18th, 2010 at 10:39 am and posted in Amazing, Travel. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
People have witnessed our awesomeness
- 34,396 times...
Error: Please make sure the Twitter account is public.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- I’m writing for the first time in a while by making mixtapes for... November 21, 2015
- HAWK RAWK 2015: Cameron Deuel Write-In September 12, 2015
- themusicwriterscollective: MWC Talks, Ep. 3: Beach House For... August 28, 2015
- Thomas Canto "Gravitational inertia infinity" -... March 20, 2018
- IKEA Art Event 2018 is starting to pop up in... March 20, 2018
- 30 Watt silicone Sudski Shower Beer Holder March 20, 2018
- KICKS LAB. Crafts an ASICS GEL-Lyte III Fit for a Ninja March 20, 2018
- The 'Dragon Ball Super' Movie Has a New Teaser Trailer March 20, 2018
- Nike Adds New Air Max 95 & 97 Colorways to "Pull Tab" Pack March 20, 2018
Random Street Art.
- amazing stop motion by Daniel Larsson and Tomas Redigh
- Beyond Black Mesa.
- Amazing ‘Bubble’ Photography.
- BBC One: ‘Human Planet’
- Intel: “The Chase”
- Epic Jurassic Park Theme Remix by Birdfeeder.
- Paper Rad – P UNIT
- Baume & Mercier Capeland Flyback Chronograph.
- A Brief History of Conspicuous Product Placement in Movies.
- Visual Life, The Sartorialist.
- 7 Billion, National Geographic Magazine.
- UNDERCITY by Andrew Wonder
- Hang Son Doong – Vietnam.
- She’s Got The Look!
- 2010 Filmography.
- Peter Gray x Masa Honda.
- Linda Evangelista by Mario Testino.
- BMW Bike vs. BMW Bobsled.
- Chasing Wolves by Harper Smith.
- Angela Lindvall by Camilla Akrans.
- Every Photographer in New York.
- Dogs Filmed at 1000 Frames per Second.
- Howl – Brothers In Violence.
- CURT@!N$ feat N.E.R.D – God Bless Us All
- Mr. Jones “The Last Laugh” Watch.
- Rekiem Skateboarding: How to Make a Board.
- Natalia Vodianova by Michelangelo di Battista.
- Autumn in Yosemite National Park.
- New Favourite Photographer: Mario Testino.
- The Mill Visual Effects Studio Showreel 2010.
- Painting’s by Chloe Early.
- Dree Hemingway by Richard Burbridge.
- Ora Pro Nobis by Giovanni Squatriti.
- Rihanna by Camilla Åkrans.
- For christmas please!
- Letter from the Editor.
- The Prodigy – 99 Problems Remix.
- Earth as Art: Stunning Images From Space
- DJ LEXICON – dirtyfaces.
- Chromeo – Hot Mess!